Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Great to take out to a party as it makes about 3 cups.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium red onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 4 spring onions, sliced thinly
- 250 g light cream cheese, at room temp
- 3⁄4 cup light sour cream
- 3⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- vegie sticks and cracker, to serve
- Heat oil in pan.
- Add brown and red onion and garlic.
- Cook over low heat for 10 minutes till soft and browned.
- Add salt and pepper and spring onions, cook further 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cool to room temp.
- Beat cream cheese, sour cream and mayo till fluffy and combined.
- Stir in cooled onion mix.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve dip with vegie sticks and crackers.
Mmm, what a yummy dip! I really liked the onion flavour in this. It wasnt too tangy because the sauteeing mellowed it. I would have liked some additional spicing, though. Maybe some garlic, pepper and some kind of herb. The texture was lovely (even though I swapped the mayo for yoghurt), great for scooping up with crackers.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this lovely recipe with us, Kate!
Made and reviewed for Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #50, March 2011.
This is good. Actually I only tried a really tiny bit because of allergy to the cream cheese. Others liked it though. I used unrefined extra virgin olive oil, cooking onion for the brown onion, sea salt, A Danish type of cream cheese, Balkan (thick) yogurt instead of sour cream to be corn free, and a regular ie, not light Hellman's olive oil mayonnaise to be soy free, plus the rest. Made for RECIPE SWAP #48 - January 2011.
Every Friday afternoon I take a homemade dip to work. Today Robert (a colleague and a very fussy eater) asked if it was okay for him to take home all the leftovers. I said yes. He also said 'Can I nominate this dip as the best dip ever?' I said yes again. Amazing dip and very moor-ish. Everyone loved it. Served with celery bits and bread slices.