Recipe by Lainey39
The sour cream in this cake makes it extra-rich. Recipe is from Woman's World. To melt chocolate chips, microwave on high for 1 minute, stirring every 15 seconds. Prep time includes cooling time.
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup water
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup mini chocolate chip
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- chocolate sprinkles (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; coat 3 (9-inch) round pans with cooking spray.
- Stir coffee granules into 1 cup water.
- At low speed, beat cake mix, eggs, sour cream and coffee mixture until combined.
- Increase speed to medium-high; beat 2 minutes.
- Stir in mini chips.
- Divide batter between pans.
- Bake 20-22 minutes or until pick inserted into centers comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to racks; cool.
- At medium-high speed, beat butter and melted chips until fluffy.
- Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar, then milk; beat 2 minutes.
- Place 1 cup frosting in pastry bag with large rosette tip.
- Place 1 cake layer on serving plate; spread with 3/4 cup frosting.
- Top with second cake layer; spread with 3/4 cup frosting.
- Top with remaining layer; spread top and sides of cake with remaining frosting.
- Pipe rosettes around edge of cake.
- If desired, sprinkle with chocolate sprinkles.