Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I searched all over for the perfect chili recipe. I finally ended up combining everything I liked and creating my own. We usually do a Creole rub on a bone-in rib roast and slow smoke/grill it and always have leftovers. That is the meat I use unless I am out and then I'll use either Venison or lean beef stew meat. Or, rub a chuck roast and smoke/grill it slowly at 250 degrees for 4-5 hours. Any smoked or slow grilled lean meat will add a great smoky flavor. Great with Moist Cornbread With Cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 lbs lean meat, cut into small, bite sized pieces (Venison or beef)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne (or more, according to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups water (or more as needed)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- Salt and pepper meat and sear in oil,remove and set aside.
- While oil is still hot in pan sauté onions a few minutes.
- Add garlic and stir, mix flour, Cumin, chili powder, salt and cayenne in a bowl and add to sauce pan a little at a time stirring well after each addition.
- Add beer and stir.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, consommé,water and meat and stir.
- Cover and simmer 1-2 hours, stirring occasionally, may need to add water.
- Add beans.
- Serve with your choice of toppings such as minced fresh cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheddar, and chopped green onions.
- Serve with Hot corn bread!
This chili sure is special! I have never made chili that did not have ground beef in it. I used beef stew meat and followed the recipe exactly. It was delicious. My sons complimented for two days how good it was. Made for PAC Fall 2008.