Recipe by Chief Teer
This is one great recipe if you like chili rellenos. You have to give it a try!
- 12 green chili peppers, fresh whole (roasted and peeled)
- 1 lb monterey jack cheese, cut into strips
- 1 1⁄2 cups frying oil
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 3 or 4 inches of oil in a deep frying pan until hot.
- Slit each chile open below stems on one side. Remove seeds if desired.
- Insert the cheese strips into each chile.
- Combine dry batter ingredients in bowl.
- In another bowl, mix milk and eggs.
- Roll each relleno in dry mixture, coating well. Dip in egg mixture, roll again in dry mixture and coat well.
- Fry in deep, hot oil until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Top with chili and shredded cheese, then serve!