Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe that is infamous among Tongans. We call it Tongan Pie but it is more like a jelly roll. Use your favorite jelly or jam, peach/pineapple and grape are popular favorites. Also can roll out the dough & use biscuit cutter to make tarts instead. I'm submitting here so I won't lose the recipe again!
- Mix flour, sugar & powder well.
- Cut margarine in small cubes (cut long ways then short ways for tiny cubes).
- Throw margarine cubes into flour, then work it into flour until evenly broken up--much like making a pie crust.
- Add eggs (mix first in separate bowl) and rub together until even.
- Add milk & mix until not sticky but balls up.
- Roll out on floured surface about 1/4-1/3" thick.
- Spread with jam or jelly on entire surface leaving 1/2 " space along edges.
- Roll dough into one large log & fold ends under to keep jelly from oozing out.
- Transfer to foil lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 45 minutes.
Thank you for posting the recipe! My aunty told me how to make them before, but I totally forgot. Doesn't help that I don't cook often :) really do appreciate the posting. Keep them coming :) btw, I'm Tongan myself. Malo
This is a great recipe. The pies came out really great even though I made few changes. I used all butter and added another cup of sugar. I started out baking my pies at 275 deg for 45 mins but felt it was a bit too low and so I changed it to 400 deg for the rest of the 45 mins. Took it out after the 45 mins and they were really good. I will make this again and again but will start at 400 deg from the get go and will check after 35 to 40 mins. Thank you for sharing your wonderful recipe.
thank you so much this recipe i've been surfing the net for