Recipe by miss_heyrara
This is a recipe that is infamous among Tongans. We call it Tongan Pie but it is more like a jelly roll. Use your favorite jelly or jam, peach/pineapple and grape are popular favorites. Also can roll out the dough & use biscuit cutter to make tarts instead. I'm submitting here so I won't lose the recipe again!
Top Review by Mssuka
Thank you for posting the recipe! My aunty told me how to make them before, but I totally forgot. Doesn't help that I don't cook often :) really do appreciate the posting. Keep them coming :) btw, I'm Tongan myself. Malo
- 5 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 cups margarine (cold)
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup milk (cold)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, sugar & powder well.
- Cut margarine in small cubes (cut long ways then short ways for tiny cubes).
- Throw margarine cubes into flour, then work it into flour until evenly broken up--much like making a pie crust.
- Add eggs (mix first in separate bowl) and rub together until even.
- Add milk & mix until not sticky but balls up.
- Roll out on floured surface about 1/4-1/3" thick.
- Spread with jam or jelly on entire surface leaving 1/2 " space along edges.
- Roll dough into one large log & fold ends under to keep jelly from oozing out.
- Transfer to foil lined cookie sheet.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 45 minutes.