Recipe by evelyn/athens
An overabundance of vine-ripened tomatoes? Lucky you! This is the recipe you want to make. From Elizabeth David's 'A Book of Mediterranean Food'.
Top Review by CountryLady
Tomatoes, garlic & olive oil is definitely a winning combination! My husband actually did this on the gas BBQ, along with chicken breasts & a mixed veggie packet. Thanx for posting Evelyn!
- 4 large vine-ripened tomatoes, cut in half lengthwise and stem cut out
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler in oven.
- Have baking rack in centre rack of oven.
- With a sharp knife make several incisions crosswise in pulp of the tomatoes and in these, rub salt, pepper and crushed garlic.
- Put tomato halves, cut side up, in baking pan just large enough to hold them.
- Pour 1 tblsp olive oil over minced parsley and stir to coat.
- Distribute parsley evenly over the 8 halves, pressing down lightly.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of olive oil over each tomato half and cook under the grill until tomatoes have softened and are slightly charred on cut surface.
- Serve with grilled or roasted meats.