Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving.
Make and share this Tomatoes - Packed in Own Juice (Canning) recipe from Food.com.
- Place tomatoes in a wire basket and lower into a large saucepot of boiling water.
- Blanch tomatoes 30 to 60 seconds or until skins start to crack.
- Remove from boiling water.
- Dip immediately into cold water.
- Slip off skins; trim away any green areas; cut out core.
- Leave tomatoes whole or cut into halves or quarters.
- Add 1 tablespoon of bottled lemon juice to each pint jar, or 2 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice to each quart jar.
- Pack tomatoes into hot jars, pressing gently on tomatoes until the natural juice fills the space between tomatoes, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to each pint jar, or 1 teaspoon of salt to each quart jar, if desired.
- Remove air bubbles.
- Adjust two-piece caps.
- Process pints and quarts 1 hour and 25 minutes in a boiling-water canner.