2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Mrs. Hughes's Note:
This is from the Ball Blue Book of Preserving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place tomatoes in a wire basket and lower into a large saucepot of boiling water.
- 2Blanch tomatoes 30 to 60 seconds or until skins start to crack.
- 3Remove from boiling water.
- 4Dip immediately into cold water.
- 5Slip off skins; trim away any green areas; cut out core.
- 6Leave tomatoes whole or cut into halves or quarters.
- 7Add 1 tablespoon of bottled lemon juice to each pint jar, or 2 tablespoons of bottled lemon juice to each quart jar.
- 8Pack tomatoes into hot jars, pressing gently on tomatoes until the natural juice fills the space between tomatoes, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
- 9Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to each pint jar, or 1 teaspoon of salt to each quart jar, if desired.
- 10Remove air bubbles.
- 11Adjust two-piece caps.
- 12Process pints and quarts 1 hour and 25 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomatoes - Packed in Own Juice (Canning)
Serving Size: 1 (1135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.3
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 56.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.6 g
- Sugars 29.8 g
- Protein 9.9 g