Recipe by CarolAnn
Wonderful variation on typical tortilla soup -- thicker and richer than most. Delicious! You can spice it up with additional jalepenos. From Bon Appetit's RSVP section.
Top Review by CarolAnn
One more note, since the soup is pureed, you don't need to spend a whole lot of time chopping up the onion and celery really fine. You can chop them fairly coarsely, just fine enough to saute them efficiently. This soup is also good with diced avocado added at the end!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons jalapenos, chopped and seeded
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups cilantro
- 4 cups tortilla chips (broken but not crushed)
- shredded monterey jack cheese (for garnish) (optional)
- lime wedge
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add onions and celery and saute about 15 minutes until onions are tender and golden.
- Add garlic and jalepenos and saute 2 more minutes.
- Add cumin and saute 1 more minute.
- Add chicken stock, tomato and 1 cup cilantro; simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in chips and simmer until chips are very soft about 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree soup in blender until smooth (or you can use handheld stick blender in pot).
- Return to pot and bring to simmer.
- (If too thick, add more broth).
- Season with salt and pepper, garnish with cheese and remaining cilantro, and serve with a lime wedge.