Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
You know that a bowl of warm, creamy tomato soup is always made better when paired with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich, so why not take the combo to the next step with a tomato soup and egg soaked grilled cheese?
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed tomato soup
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- black pepper, to taste
- 10 slices multigrain country bread, lightly toasted
- 2 ounces aged cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 teaspoons butter, divided
- In a large, shallow bowl, whisk together soup, eggs, egg whites, water, basil and pepper.
- Soak bread slices in the egg mixture, turning to evenly coat.
- Remove half the soaked slices to a plate and sprinkle with even amounts of Cheddar. Top with second half of the soaked slices.
- In a large pan over medium heat, melt 2 tsp butter.
- Add two sandwiches and cook, flipping once, until eggs are cooked and cheese is melted in the centre. Remove to a plate.
- Repeat with remaining butter and sandwiches, using 1 tsp butter per sandwich.
- Serve hot!