Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Thick and Hearty. A meal in itself, add crusty bread and salad.
Make and share this Tomato Sausage and Eggplant (Aubergine) Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 1⁄2 cups eggplants, unpeeled 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fennel or 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, ground
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1 (29 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, chopped
- Heat the 1/3 cup of olive oil in a 4-5 quart saucepan.
- Add the eggplant and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt.
- Sautee over medium high heat, stirring freqently 5 minutes or until tender. Transfer eggplant to a bowl.
- In the same pan, heat remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add onions, celery or fennel, garlic, fennel seed, pepper, bay leaves, remaining salt, basil and thyme. Cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add sausage and sautee 5-6 minutes breaking meat up into small pieces while cooking.
- Add chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, chopped tomatoes with juice, and the eggplant.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes, if soup seems too thick add more stock. Remove bay leaves before serving.
Loved this recipe!!! I like the other person I didn't have fennel seeds and added oregano and my other favorite seasonings. De-dog-on-licious!!! GREAT!!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!! I put it over rice.
It is just what it said - thick and hearty. I had to omit celery/fennel, as I did not have any, and substituted basil for oregano, for the same reason. I added a bit of cumin in the end, and some sugar to neutralise the tomatoes. The result was a beautiful, heavy, "full-bodied" soup that was indeed a meal in itself. Thank you for posting.