Recipe by Um Safia
This is my recipe to use up fresh tomatoes. You can make plenty of this then freeze & turn it into whatever you like....soup, base for bolognaise sauce, for lasagna, basic pasta sauces etc....the list is endless.
- 2 kg very ripe tomatoes
- olive oil
- 75 g shallots, roughly chopped (or any sweet onion)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled & minced
- 200 ml vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs of torn fresh basil or 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- salt & fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put the tomatoes in a baking dish, drizzle with oil & season, cook in oven at 160 c for approx 20 minutes Remove skins & set aside.
- Gently fry the shallots/onions & garlic 'til golden. Add the tomatoes & stock. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for at least 20 mins then add basil & liquidise/blend. Continue simmering for a couple of minutes or if you want it thicker, leave to cook until desired consistency.
- (a pinch of sugar is good if tomatoes aren't nice & sweet).
- This freezes well & is a good sauce base. If you want it as soup add a little cream/creme fraiche etc.