Um Safia's Note:
This is my recipe to use up fresh tomatoes. You can make plenty of this then freeze & turn it into whatever you like....soup, base for bolognaise sauce, for lasagna, basic pasta sauces etc....the list is endless.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put the tomatoes in a baking dish, drizzle with oil & season, cook in oven at 160 c for approx 20 minutes Remove skins & set aside.
- 2Gently fry the shallots/onions & garlic 'til golden. Add the tomatoes & stock. Bring to the boil then simmer gently for at least 20 mins then add basil & liquidise/blend. Continue simmering for a couple of minutes or if you want it thicker, leave to cook until desired consistency.
- 3(a pinch of sugar is good if tomatoes aren't nice & sweet).
- 4This freezes well & is a good sauce base. If you want it as soup add a little cream/creme fraiche etc.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tomato Sauce Base - Make Soup or Pasta Sauces Etc
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 71.3
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 18.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 3.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: