Recipe by lucid501
We found this recipe in a cookbook from the library, but I'm not sure which one. It is perfect comfort food, and easy since I usually have all the ingredients. Canned tomatoes work fine in this as a substitute for fresh. ZWT 3: Great Britain/Ireland (Welsh--rarebit)
Top Review by Susiecat too
This was easy to make with pantry staples (I used canned fire-roasted tomatoes). My whole family loved it. We will undoubtedly make it again, as DD said she wished she could eat this every single day for lunch. Thanks, lucid501! Made for "Please Review My Recipe" Tag game.
- 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, heated
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
- 8 slices bread, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the chopped tomatoes and the baking soda.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter, stir in flour, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly pour in the warm milk and stir until smooth. (Mixture will be thick).
- Add the tomato/baking soda mixture, cheese, eggs, cayenne, and salt to taste.
- Cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until cheese has melted and the mixture is smooth and blended.
- Spoon over the toast and serve hot.