Recipe by Scoutie
These are such great little appetizers, especially with fresh tomatoes and basil in season right now. The recipe calls for fontina cheese, but I have used freshly grated parmesan with good results as well. The trick of laying another baking sheet over the dough while they bake really makes them crisp. This is adapted from Food Network, hope you enjoy.
Top Review by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
These turned out fabulous and are so pretty and tasty. I was lazy and did not roll out the dough. It was still folded in 3 sections out of the box and I took my round cutter and punched thru the dough. I got 9 circles. Baked as directed and dusted with sea salt while still warm. The baking can be done ahead of time. Topped with recipe#40752 > adding Kalamata olives to the blend. It's a great appetizer for those who want to impress! Thanks for posting s'kat!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1⁄3 cup olive tapenade
- 1 cup shredded Fontina cheese
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 4 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 pinch of large sea salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Special equipment: a 2 1/4-inch round cookie cutter
- Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the pastry on a lightly floured work surface, with a light dusting on the top of the pastry as well.
- Using a 2 1/4-inch round cookie cutter, cut out 16 rounds of pastry. Using the tines of a fork, prick the pastry rounds all over.
- Place the pastry rounds on the prepared baking sheet. Lay a piece of parchment paper on top of the pastry rounds. Place another baking sheet directly on top of the parchment paper to keep the pastry even while baking.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden.
- Remove the top baking sheet and the top piece of parchment paper. Let cool slightly.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of tapenade on each pastry round.
- Place about 1 tablespoon of cheese on top.
- Arrange 2 pieces of tomato on the cheese.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes until the cheese has melted. Remove from the oven and sprinkle the chopped basil on top.
- Transfer the tartlets to a platter and garnish with a pinch of salt.