Recipe by Sandi (From CA)
Lovely soup with substance. Literally! Not "brothy" but rich... and probably not heathy either. I won't tell if you won't!
- 9 tomatoes, peeled, cored and chopped (about 4 cups, or the equivalent in canned tomatoes, crushed)
- 2 cups tomato juice (V8)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 5 tablespoons fresh basil leaves, cleaned
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream (1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese (grated, to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer tomatoes, vegetable/tomato juice and stock in saucepan for 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and puree with the basil leaves using one of those handy dandy immersion blenders right in the cooking pan.
- Return to low heat and stir while adding cream and butter.
- Sprinkle each serving with grated parmesan and basil leaves. I like to float toasted fresh garlic-parmesan croutons!