Prep 45 mins
Cook 15 mins
I think I got this recipe and others I have posted from the back of a package of egg roll wrappers. They keep nicely in the freezer for up to a month (thaw completely before frying) and for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
- 12 egg roll wraps
- 10 ounces firm tofu, drained
- peanut oil or salad oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated ginger
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped Chinese cabbage or 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- Place square of tofu between layers of paper towels and drain for 15 minutes before cutting into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Heat 1 T. oil in wok or skillet until hot.
- Add ginger, onion, and cabbage; stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add chopped mushrooms and tofu; stir-fry gently for 1 minute; remove to colander and drain for 15 minutes.
- Egg roll filling Instructions-------------------.
- Make a sealer for folding egg roll by stirring together flour and water.
- Keep egg roll wrappers under a damp towel to keep them moist as your filling egg rolls.
- Place 1 egg roll wrapper with 1 corner facing you.
- Place 3 tablespoons of filling on the center of the wrapper.
- Fold bottom corner over filling.
- Moisten left and right corners with the sealer.
- Fold them to the center, over filling sealing them to the bottom corner.
- Brush sealer onto the top corner edges.
- Roll egg roll up away from you enclosing filling tightly.
- Press top corner onto egg roll to seal (like an envelope).
- Repeat for each egg roll.
- To fry egg roll, pour oil 3 inches deep into wok or Dutch oven; heat 375 degrees.
- Fry egg rolls 3 or 4 at a time, turning once, until brown; drain on paper towel.
- Keep warm in a 250 degree oven until all egg rolls are fried.
These worked out great The only change I made was to add a little S&P to the veggie mix. I loved the tips for letting the veggies drain and using the mix for the seal. They held together really well. I'm looking forward to making these again and experimenting with different combinations of veggies and seasonings just for fun. Thanks for the keeper.