Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
From The Candle Cafe Cookbook by Joy Pierson and Bart Potenza, from the vegan restaurant in NYC. This is great, even for us non-vegan types.
- 1 lb tofu, cut into small cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1 bunch kale, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, deveined, and cut into 1 inch julienne
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup tamari soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon chili sauce
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Put tofu into baking dish. Put the ginger, garlic, and red pepper flakes into abowl. Whisk in the sesame oil, vinegar, and soy sauce. Pour over the tofu and let sit for 10-45 minute Bake, uncovered, for 10 minute Turn and cook for an additional 10-15 min., until the cubes begin to crisp. Remove the tofu with a slotted spoon and set aside to cool.
- Blanch the kale in boiling water for 45 seconds. Remove and submerge in ice water. Drain and cool.
- Toss together kale, tofu, red bell pepper, carrot, scallion and sesame seeds. Add the spicy citrus dressing and toss again.
- To make dressing: combine all dressing ingredients and whisk.