Recipe by Aarti D.
entree can be made with homemade marinara sauce, or a good quality jarred sauce. Either way, it’s a great way to incorporate healthful beans and tofu into a familiar dish. Extra oregano and basil may be added if desired.
- 8 -12 lasagna noodles
- 4 cups marinara sauce (32 ounces)
- 2 cups tomato sauce (one 28-ounce can)
- 2 cups kidney beans, rinsed and drained (one 15-ounce can)
- 4 cups part-skim ricotta cheese (2 pounds)
- 8 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, cheese*
- 1 lb silken tofu
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Spray a 9x13-inch (22x32cm) oven-proof casserole dish with vegetable oil spray.
- Prepare sauce: Combine jarred marinara sauce with the canned tomato sauce in a saucepan. Heat to boiling and then reduce heat to a simmer. Add kidney beans and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Cook noodles in large pot of boiling salted water until almost tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. rinse under cold water, and set aside.
- Prepare filling: In a medium-sized bowl, combine ricotta cheese, tofu, pepper, and parsley and blend thoroughly. Slice mozzarella cheese into thin slices, or grate using a coarse grater.
- Assemble the lasagna: Layer 1/4 of the sauce, 4 noodles, 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture, and 1/3 of the mozzarella slices in the pan. Then repeat the layers, ending with sauce. Pour about 1 cup (240mL) of water around the edges of the dish and shake the casserole to settle the ingredients. Top with the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for about 5 minutes more. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.