1/1 Photo of Toffee-Chocolate-Almond Bars
1 hr 2 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds (about 2 oz.)
- 4 (1 1/2 ounce) chocolate-covered chocolate-covered english toffee bars, such as heath (or 16 snack-size about 3/8-oz. bars -- about 1/2 of a 12-oz. bag)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (4 1/2 oz.)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Line a 9-by 9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, allowing some extra at each end.
- 3Grease and flour the foil.
- 4Toast the almond pieces in a frying pan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until they begin to color and become fragrant, about 7 minutes.
- 5Pour them out of the pan and set aside.
- 6Chop the toffee bars into 1/2-inch pieces (if using snack-size bars, chop them in half).
- 7Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 8In the large bowl of an electric mixer, combine the melted butter and brown sugar, breaking up any hard lumps of brown sugar.
- 9Beat in the egg, vanilla and almond extract.
- 10Beat in the flour mixture.
- 11Combine the toasted almonds, chopped toffee bars and chocolate chips, mixing well, then stir the mixture into the batter, stirring to coat all the mix-ins.
- 12Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- 13Bake about 40 minutes (about 5 minutes longer in an 8-by 8-inch pan), until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 14(If the toothpick comes out covered with chocolate, it hit a chocolate chip; try somewhere else.) A toothpick might come out apparently clean after about 30 minutes, but close examination would indicate it's wet.
- 15Some people might like the bars that way; they're certainly gooey, but they really aren't done.
- 16Cool at least an hour in the pan, lift out by the edges of the foil, peel away the foil (invert if necessary) and cut into serving pieces.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toffee-Chocolate-Almond Bars
Serving Size: 1 (36 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 166.1
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 22.4 mg
- Sodium 82.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 15.7 g
- Protein 1.8 g