Recipe by ElleFirebrand
These souffles use the famous pyramid-shaped Swiss Toblerone chocolate bar as their base. From Bon Appetit, December 1996. Posted for ZWT 7.
Top Review by awalde
Easy, delicious and cut! What do you want more!
Do you want to impress your friends? Try this is a decandent "warm mousse".
This was a success, my guests asked me the photo as they wanted to sent it home!
I prepared 12 small souffles as I had only small fireproof cups that would suit with this recpe.
The batter rised a lot, I suggest to fill the cups to 2/3 of the total volume.
Thanks a lot we all enjoyed it!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces toblerone chocolate, dark chocolate or 8 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- sliced almonds
- powdered sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter six 1 1/4-cup soufflé dishes or custard cups. Sprinkle with sugar. Arrange dishes on large baking sheet.
- Melt butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat. Add flour; whisk until mixture bubbles, about 2 minutes. Increase heat to medium-high. Gradually whisk in milk. Whisk until mixture boils, thickens and is smooth, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add 6 ounces Toblerone chocolate (scant 1 1/4 cups), unsweetened chocolate and honey; whisk until melted and smooth. Pour into large bowl. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Whisk yolks into chocolate mixture. Beat whites and salt in medium bowl until soft peaks form. Add 1 tablespoon sugar; beat until stiff and glossy. Fold 1/4 of whites into chocolate mixture. Gently fold in remaining whites. Divide half of mixture among prepared dishes. Sprinkle with 2 ounces chopped chocolate, dividing equally. Spoon remaining batter over. Sprinkle almonds over soufflés. (Can be made 3 days ahead. Wrap in foil and freeze; do not thaw. Uncover before baking.).
- Bake soufflés until puffed and almost firm to touch but center still moves slightly when dishes are gently shaken, about 17 minutes for unfrozen, 22 minutes for frozen. Sift powdered sugar over soufflés and serve immediately.