1/1 Photo of Toasted Coconut Rice Pudding
This is not your average rice pudding. There's a fragrant, almost floral, waft of scent and flavor that is imparted to the creamy rice mixture by the ginger, lime and honey. The toasted coconut and rum are the kickers, though, making it over-the-top good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- lime peel (4-inch strip, no pith, please!)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup arborio rice
- 1 cup full-fat evaporated milk, divided
- 1/2 cup full-fat evaporated milk, divided
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup toasted desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup golden raisin, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1To toast coconut: Heat a clean, dry frying pan over medium-high heat, add desiccated coconut and cook, shaking pan constantly, until coconut is golden. (Make a little more toasted coconut than is called for in the recipe so that you can sprinkle some over top at serving time.).
- 2Bring water, freshly-grated ginger, lime peel, salt and butter to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the rice, return to the boil, and then reduce the heat to the lowest setting, so the mixture cooks at a simmer. Cook until rice has absorbed most of the water, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Carefully remove the lime peel and discard.
- 3Scald the 1 cup evaporated milk and honey in the microwave.
- 4Add the hot milk, honey, toasted coconut and chopped raisins, if using, to the rice mixture. Cook at a bare simmer a further 15 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in rum and vanilla extracts.
- 5Transfer pudding to a large bowl, place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto surface and cool to room temperature. Place in refrigerator until cool and set. Just before serving, 'loosen' rice pudding by beating in the reserved 1/2 cup evaporated milk with a fork.
- 6Serve with your favorite toppings.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Toasted Coconut Rice Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.2
- Calories from Fat 118
- Total Fat 13.1 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 35.0 mg
- Sodium 175.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 21.3 g
- Protein 8.5 g