Recipe by alligirl
One of my fave greek dishes; taken from greekcuisine.com for ZWT.
Top Review by Jamilahs_Kitchen
Feta in phyllo is one of my favs but I usually just use egg as a binder and if I add spinach or somethign it holds it together but this idea of making a roux first is really smart especially if you want to serve these to guests and keep them pretty. ( no unwanted cheese bursting). I will definately use this tip and the mixture came out nice and thick and easy to fold. I did large triangles and used the thick country phyllo and added some garlic and crushed red pepper and skipped the nutmeg. Everyone enjoyed thanks Alli. Made for ZWT 6 for Looney Spoon Phoodies.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash nutmeg
- 1 lb feta cheese
- 1 cup grated kefalotiri (Cheese -- or Parmesan)
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 3⁄4 lb phyllo dough (pastry sheets)
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in small saucepan over low heat; blend in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly with wire whisk or wooden spoon. Add salt and nutmeg, stirring occasionally, simmer for 5 minutes, or until white sauce is thick. Cool.
- Mash feta cheese with a fork and combine with the grated cheese, well beaten eggs, parsley and white sauce.
- Butter a 9X13 inch baking pan.
- Line with half the pastry sheets, brushing each sheet with butter, and letting them come up the sides of the pan.
- Pour in the cheese filling and cover with the remaining pastry sheets, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Brush top with remaining butter and, with a sharp knife, score the top sheets into strips about 3 inches wide from one end of the pan to the other. Bake in a moderate oven until golden, about 45 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve hot.