Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
One of my aunt's favourite cakes. It freezes very well. The batter barely covers the apple slices. That is normal. Not sure about the size of the pan as I got this recipe from her over the phone.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter a 9x9-inch Pyrex pan generously.
- Peel and slice the apples.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and lemon juice.
- Mix eggs, flour, baking powder, salt,orange juice concentrate and cinnamon.
- Place about 2/3 of batter in Pyrex.
- Cover with apple slices.
- Top with the remaining batter.
- Bake at 350°F for forty minutes.
Sorry, but this did not turn out like I thought it should. The dough was so thick that I had to spread it using greased hands. There is only 3 eggs and 3 Tsp of OJ for moisture in the batter. The dough under the apples tasted ok, as it got a little sweetness from the apples. Some vanilla ice cream also helped. 9 apples came out to 10 cups of sliced apples just in case someone wonders. You might want to ask your aunt if there is suppose to be more liquid in this recipe. This is one of the recipes from Pick A Chef Orphanage 2006. I picked two of Eva99's recipes to make.