Recipe by Liz Zzzz©
Fill the "print" in each nut-crunchy goodie with a dollop of sparkling Christmas red or green jelly, a candied cherry or pastel-tinted frosting.
Top Review by Breezytoo
Love these! First found this recipe in a Betty Crocker cookbook and nice to see it posted here for safe keeping because my old book has seen better days! I have never gotten 3 dozen out of one batch, more like 20 or so, so if someone is making these for the first time I suggest doubling the recipe to get that amount. Thanks for posting :)
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 egg, separated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup gold medal flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped nuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Mix thoroughly butter, shortening, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla.
- Work in flour and salt until dough holds together.
- Shape dough by teaspoonfuls into 1-inch balls.
- Beat egg white slightly.
- Dip each dough ball into egg white; roll in nuts.
- Place 1 inch apart on ungreased baking sheet; press thumb deeply in center of each.
- Bake about 10 minutes or until light brown.
- Immediately remove from baking sheet.
- Cool; fill thumbprint with jelly.
- *Ifusing self-rising flour, omit salt.
- Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies: Substitute ½ cup granulated sugar for ¼ cup brown sugar; add 1 ounce melted unsweetened chocolate (cool) with the vanilla.