Recipe by Brown Eyed Baker
Gruyere, white cheddar, and Parmesan combine with beer to make an incredibly flavorful quick bread. Recipe comes courtesy of Brown Eyed Baker: http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2009/05/04/three-cheese-beer-bread/
Top Review by Outta Here
Fantastic bread. It rose very high and had a really crunchy crust. Lots of flavor. I subbed sharp cheddar for white cheddar, but otherwise made as written (I only made 1 loaf). I think this lends itself to any combination of cheese you might prefer. I think some pepper-jack would be great. Just make sure to put some on top, as written, because that gave it the crunchiness! Made for Fall 2009 PAC.
- 6 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 2 cups beer, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup tomato juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups gruyere cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 9×5-inch loaf pans.
- 2. Grate all of the cheese.
- 3. In a large bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, dried mustard and Italian herbs.
- 4. Remove a 1/ 2 cup of the white cheddar and 1/2 cup of the Gruyere cheese and a 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and set aside for the topping of the bread. Add the rest of the cheeses to the flour mixture. Using your fingers mix in the cheese so all the cheese is coated in flour.
- 5. In a separate bowl whisk together the beer, sour cream, tomato juice, eggs and worcestershire sauce until thoroughly combined.
- 6. Add the liquid mixture to the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula just till mixed. Do not over mix.
- 7. Divide the batter between the two greased loaf pans and press down with a spatula. Sprinkle the top with the cheese that was set aside earlier.
- 8. Bake for 50 -55 minutes or until done. Allow to cool in the pans for 15 minutes before removing them from the pans. Place on a wire rack to cool.