Recipe by DDW
This is my summer time dish for all BBQ's and I always double the recipe. If you enjoy baked beans you have to try this one. It's from a '98 TOH and whenever I make it someone always asks for the recipe. I have personally never made it in the oven since the crock pot does just fine and who wants to heat up the house in the summer? When using the crock pot I will take the lid off for the last hour or so (+/-) of cooking - this will thicken it up if you like your beans thick right at serving. Leftovers freeze very well.
Top Review by Audrey M
This is the most fantastic Bake Bean Recipe. Just like you, it is a frequent request with family and friends. You won't go back to regular bake beans again. It is even better as a leftover which can be eaten as a meal with fresh bread.
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pork and beans, undrained
- 1 (16 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup barbecue sauce (I use KC Masterpiece original or hickory)
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over med.
- heat, brown beef, bacon and onion; drain.
- Add beans.
- Combine remaining ingredients and stir into bean mixture.
- Pour into a greased 2 1/2 qt baking dish.
- Bake uncovered at 350° for 1 hour or until beans reach desired thickness.
- OR place in greased crock pot and heat on low for 4 hours or so.