Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is the astoundingly good dressing that we use on our reuben sandwiches and in shrimp cocktail. Others have told me that they make it just to use as a dip, and - coming from my description in our Reuben Sandwiches Our Way (Reuben Sandwich Our Way): "you can call it Thousand Island or French, whathaveyou" - keep it on their table and call it What-Have-You Sauce. Thank you for the tribute! :)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellmann's or Vegenaise)
- 3⁄4 cup catsup (or more, to taste) or 3⁄4 cup ketchup (or more, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dill relish
- 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl combine the mayonnaise, catsup, relishes, onion, garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper to taste. Mix well!
- Makes about 2 cups dressing.
- To store: put in a tightly covered clean glass container in fridge.
- To use: put it on reuben sandwiches, pot roast patty melts, burgers, in shrimp cocktail, on salads, or as a dip for chips, veggies, chicken nuggets, steak fingers, et cetera!
Delicious, exactly what I wanted for my reubens! I, too, used jalapeno relish, which added a little extra kick. This was a hundred times better than restaurant sauce!
This sauce is right on! Used my homemade jalapeno sweet relish and both onion and garlic powders. This is good on a reuben, in reuben casserole or as a salad dressing! Thanks!
My Dh loves 1,000 island dressing he could eat it with a spoon. The one i usually make calls for bottled chili sauce i was out and i was planning on Reuben Casserole #88257 for dinner. So i gave this one a try. What could it hurt right?? I'm not a big 1,000 Island person expect for reubens. I did make some minor adjustment due to what i had on hand and a sick kid at home. No dill relish put had pickles so i used 1tsp of the juice. I added a healthy Tbsp of sweet relish. I had no dried onion flakes so i used my micro plane and sent the onion across it 3 or 4 times. See minor changes. Let me tell you i could eat this with a spoons. I'm probally gonna have to make this twice a week,LOL Thanks Julesong for a definate winner i'm converted!!!! Happy cooking! Jules211