This is the astoundingly good dressing that we use on our reuben sandwiches and in shrimp cocktail. Others have told me that they make it just to use as a dip, and - coming from my description in our Reuben Sandwiches Our Way (Reuben Sandwich Our Way): "you can call it Thousand Island or French, whathaveyou" - keep it on their table and call it What-Have-You Sauce. Thank you for the tribute! :)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (Best Foods or Hellmann's or Vegenaise)
- 3⁄4 cup catsup (or more, to taste) or 3⁄4 cup ketchup (or more, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dill relish
- 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon dried onion flakes, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic or 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- In a bowl combine the mayonnaise, catsup, relishes, onion, garlic, lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, and black pepper to taste. Mix well!
- Makes about 2 cups dressing.
- To store: put in a tightly covered clean glass container in fridge.
- To use: put it on reuben sandwiches, pot roast patty melts, burgers, in shrimp cocktail, on salads, or as a dip for chips, veggies, chicken nuggets, steak fingers, et cetera!