Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A deliciously creamy side dish, which makes a great accompaniment to grilled meats, poultry and fish. Another recipe from Theodore Kyriakou's fabulous book ‘real greek food’, which he co-authored with food writer Charles Campion. I have posted this for the 2005 Zaar World Tour. I generally use low-fat milk and cream in recipes, but would not recommend doing this with this recipe (at least the first time you make it) as somehow it really would not be in the spirit of the recipe.
Top Review by Trinkets
Absolutely delicious. I never would have had the idea to cream eggplant! Love it. I ended up all by myself tonight so there are leftovers. Tomorrow I will add cheese! Yum! Cannot wait. This is so good I am adding this recipe to my 2009 favorites. Thanks bluemoon!
- 700 g aubergines
- 25 ml whole milk
- 25 ml double cream
- 75 g butter
- 1 nutmeg, grated
- 1 tablespoon flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Char the aubergines thoroughly (on a BBQ or under the grill). Once blackened, place them in a plastic bag and leave them to cool; once cool, they are easy to peel.
- Chop the aubergine pulp and use either a pestle and mortar or a food processor or blender to reduce the pulp to a purée.
- Heat the milk, cream, butter and nutmeg in a saucepan and add the puréed aubergine; ctir to combine, then simmer this mixture for 15 minutes, during which time it should begin to thicken slightly.
- Transfer the purée to a serving jug or dish, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with the chopped parsley on top.