1/1 Photo of The Pilgrim Father's Original Pumpkin Pie - Norfolk Million Pie
1 hr 20 mins
French Tart's Note:
This is a very old English pumpkin pie recipe from Norfolk in East Anglia; it would have been known as Norfolk million pie - million being the old English word for a melon, marrow, pumpkin or any kind of gourd or squash. Please note, this is not the same as most of the modern North American pumpkin pie recipes, but is based on the original recipe from the 15th/16th century. As many of the Pilgrim Father's originated from East Anglia, this recipe undoubtedly crossed the Atlantic with them, and was probably served at their Thanksgiving dinner for the first harvest in the New World - pumpkins being in abundance there! You can use marrow or squash in this pie if you wish, it works just as well as it would have done in the 15th/16th Century! Please note, this recipe uses fresh pumpkin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place the pumpkin in a colander over a pan of boiling water and steam for about 20 minutes or until tender. Mash to a pulp and allow to cool.
- 2Grease and line a 10 - 12" diameter round tin with the shortcrust pastry and reserve the trimmings for decoration.
- 3Prick the base, line with greaseproof paper and baking beans. Bake at 375F, Gas Mark 5, 190C for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- 4Remove the beans and paper and bake for a further 5 minutes.
- 5Whisk the eggs and sugar together with the nutmeg, ginger and ground cinnamon.
- 6Fold in the mashed pumpkin, currants or raisins and 4 tablespoons of milk and pour into the pastry case.
- 7Roll out the pastry trimmings and cut into strips with a pastry wheel.
- 8Brush the strips and the pastry edges with the remaining milk and position strips in a criss-cross lattice pattern over the pie top.
- 9Bake at 375F, Gas Mark 5, 190C for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until filling has set.
- 10Cut into wedges and serve warm or cold with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for The Pilgrim Father's Original Pumpkin Pie - Norfolk Million Pie
Serving Size: 1 (156 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 322.9
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 107.5 mg
- Sodium 230.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 18.7 g
- Protein 7.1 g