Recipe by SusannaGail
This recipe comes from The New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso & Sheila Lukins. I never liked cranberry sauce until I tried this one! I've lived outside Canada since 1997 so it is sometimes a challenge to find the cranberries (so then we do without cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving) and other times it is difficult to find the raspberry-cranberry juice but another juice is easily substituted.
Top Review by Anastacey
This recipe was super easy to make and delicious too. my only problem was that I should have halved the recipe because I didn't realize my family isn't huge fans of cranberry sauce.
- 12 ounces fresh cranberries, well rinsed
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 1 cup cranberry-raspberry juice
- 1 orange, zest of (from one orange)
- 1 cup walnut halves
- Note - I usually use frozen cranberries and they work just fine in this recipe.
- Combine all ingredients except the walnuts in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes until the cranberries pop open.
- Skim off the foam and stir in the walnuts. Allow to cool. Keep covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.