Recipe by Creation in Hope
This is posted for the ZWT 2006. I have not tried this recipe, and it is compliments of www.sallys-place.com
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 12 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee powder, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweet unsalted butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate sprinkles
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake --
- Beat egg yolks, sugar and salt until thick and lemon-colored.
- Sift flour and cocoa together; add gradually to egg yolk mixture (batter will be quite stiff).
- Beat egg whites until foamy; add cream of tartar.
- Beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold egg whites gradually into egg yolk mixture.
- Spoon batter into buttered and floured 10” springform pan;
- Bake in a 325° oven 1 hour and 25 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 5 minutes on rack; remove springform sides.
- Invert cake on rack; remove springform bottom.
- Chocolate Cream --
- Beat egg yolks, sugar, and salt in a small mixing bowl until sugar is dissolved and mixture forms ribbons.
- Beat in chocolate and coffee; beat at medium speed until smooth.
- Beat in butter, 1 tablespoons at a time, beating well after each addition, until smooth and fluffy.
- Assembly --
- Cut cake horizontally into 3 layers.
- Spread about 1 cup of the chocolate cream between layers.
- Spread remaining cream on sides and top.
- Press chocolate sprinkles onto top and sides of cake.