Recipe by Malriah
The other day I had a sammich similar to this for lunch. I couldn't get over how good it was! So yesterday for Valentine's Day, I decided to recreate it in my kitchen for my honey. (Hence the "love" in the name) Dan really liked it so I decided to share it with the world. If you decide to try this sammich, I BEG you, don't use the "convenience food" stuff. This is a gourmet sammich and if you do not use the fresh ingredients, you will not get the full effect of the flavors.
Top Review by Trisha W
I was looking for a new lunch sandwich and this one sounded good. My husband on his first bite said, "Mmmmm... this is good!" He loves Italian and as my son also enjoyed his (with no tomato or basil leaf) we will make it some more. I used the Italian focaccia bread and next time will try a "little more" red wine vinegar. I was afraid of getting it soggy and maybe didn't use enough this time. I also grilled mine on a flat skillet on the stove top. "Thanks for the good lunch!" My DH just said that again as he left for the offic.
- 10 ounces focaccia bread, sliced in half lengthwise (I used roasted garlic and onion flavor)
- 3 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese
- 5 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 6 big fresh basil leaves
- red wine vinegar
- olive oil (the best you can afford)
Directions See How It's Made
- Take the slices of focaccia and toast them slightly in a 375 degree oven; about 5 minutes.
- While the bread is toasting, slice your tomatoes and mozzerella, you want thin slices.
- Remove the bread from the oven.
- Top one side with slices of proscuitto, cheese, tomato and finally basil leaves.
- Sprinkle a tiny bit of red wine vinegar and olive oil and the other piece of bread, on the side that will be facing towards the toppings; just a little bit, you don't want it soggy.
- Put both slices together and with your hands (or a brush), rub a bit of olive oil on the outside of each slice.
- Place on a hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side.
- I used my George Foreman grill for that step and it worked FABULOUSLY!
- Remove from the grill, wrap in foil and place in the oven (still at 375) for about 7 minutes.
- Remove, unwrap, slice in half and enjoy.
- Suggested sides: a really good pickle spear, olive salad, gourmet chips, a leafy green salad or whatever you enjoy with your favorite sammich.