Recipe by Karen=^..^=
My mother in law has been making these for Christmas for years and years. I make them for all holidays, using different cookie cutters for whatever occasion. They are the best when they are frosted, but sometimes I just sprinkle on colored sugar before baking. I call them "Play Dough" cookies because that's what the dough smells like to me! (Don't worry, they don't taste like Play Dough :) Chilling time is not included.
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten well
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- decorator icing, in various colors or confectioner's sugar icing, colored with food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugar well.
- Add egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Combine baking powder and flour.
- Add gradually to creamed mixture.
- Chill until firm.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out dough to about 1/4" thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes.
- When cool, decorate with frosting or icing if desired.