I've been making this for family tea for years and years. I think the basis of the recipe came from the back of a supermarket leaflet but I have tweaked it and all I can say about it is when I make one, there's never leftovers!
- Preheat oven to 190°C, Gas Mark 5.
- Melt the butter gently and mix together with the flour, icing sugar and water. Press the soft dough into the base and up the sides of a fluted flan ring.
- Pierce the base several times and bake blind on a baking tray in the oven for 20 minutes until golden.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C, Gas Mark 2.
- Grate the rind of the lemon and then juice. Place caster sugar, eggs, cream, in a bowl with the lemon rind and juice. Whisk together until blended, then carefully pour into the cooked pastry case.
- Return to the oven and cook for a further 35-40 minutes until set.