I've been making this for family tea for years and years. I think the basis of the recipe came from the back of a supermarket leaflet but I have tweaked it and all I can say about it is when I make one, there's never leftovers!
- Preheat oven to 190°C, Gas Mark 5.
- Melt the butter gently and mix together with the flour, icing sugar and water. Press the soft dough into the base and up the sides of a fluted flan ring.
- Pierce the base several times and bake blind on a baking tray in the oven for 20 minutes until golden.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C, Gas Mark 2.
- Grate the rind of the lemon and then juice. Place caster sugar, eggs, cream, in a bowl with the lemon rind and juice. Whisk together until blended, then carefully pour into the cooked pastry case.
- Return to the oven and cook for a further 35-40 minutes until set.
Hi I made this lemon tart recipe last night for a Ladies night in. Very easy and delicious, so my friends said, haven't made pastry like before and it really wasn't any fuss. Reading the other reviews was very helpful, I too had only 10 inch tart dish. I didn't double up the ingredients just used half again so 9oz of Flour, 6oz Butter and so on. Thank you for posting this recipe I am going to make it again.
It may be helpful to US chefs to know that icing sugar is powdered sugar, caster sugar is superfine sugar, and double cream is heavy whipping cream.
I made it last evening as a surprise for DH and it turned out to be the best we had.I was also a bit worried as recipe didnt mention the size for the tart pan.I used a 10 inch 'Fluted quiche pan with loose base'. Added 2tbsp flour and 1tbsp butter to the pasrty to ensure it coverered the pan.I also added 2tbsp lemon juice more than what the recipe calls for to add to the taste.And we surely were not disappointed.It was simply YUMMYLICIOUS!!! Will try and upload some photos.Thanks Janette1 for posting this recipe.