Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from a friend. I make these often and take them to many potlucks, office parties, the cottage, picnics, children's lunch and the list goes on. Recipe from the cookbook "Just The Best."
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups diced peeled firm tart apples (such as Spy, Granny Smith)
- cinnamon could be added to the batter ( about 1 teaspoon or less).
- Topping: In a small bowl toss together sugar, flour, butter and cinnamon until crumbly; set aside.
- Muffins: In a large bowl whisk together brown sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, soda and salt.
- Stir oil mixture into flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fold in apples, mixing just until combined.
- Spoon into greased muffin cups filling 3/4 full.
- Sprinkle topping over evenly.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and tops spring back.
Wow!! Those are possibly the best muffins I have ever made (& I bake a lot)! I read through the reviews and altered it slightly..grated the apples, used salted butter (wasn't too salty), split the flour and did 1 1/2 cups of reg. flour and 1 c. whole wheat flour. I also did 1/2 tsp. baking soda and 1/2 tsp. baking powder (instead of all b.soda), added 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon to the muffin mix and 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg. Lastly, I didn't have buttermilk, so did the 1 c. of milk with 1 Tbl. lemon juice method and that worked just fine. Oh, and I doubled the topping! YUM!
My twins (even my picky eater) and hubby gobbled them up and asked for more! This is going to become a regular recipe in my arsenol! Thank you SO much for sharing, Dotty!~ :)
great recipe. i used only 1/2 cup oil, and 1 cup of sugar. i needed to add an additional 2 tbsp of flour to the topping to get it crumbly - it was pure liquid after i followed the recipe directions.
These came out awesome!!!! I don't use vegetable oil to cook, so I used apple sauce in its place. My roomate loves thm and so do I!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!!