Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Thai black rice (also called black sticky rice or black glutinous rice) is a long grain, dark purple rice. When cooked, the grains stick together, and make a perfect base for this coconut rice pudding. It's usually available at Asian markets, but, if you can't get it, use any kind that's sticky. Fluffy rices won't really work very well. I like to use raw (turbinado) sugar in this, but white or brown will also work.
- Rinse and drain rice, place in a large saucepan.
- Add water to cover rice. Remove any rice grains that float to the top.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then lower heat to just keep a simmer.
- Simmer about 45 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender. Add more water if needed, or pour some off. You want the water level to be just below the level of the rice.
- Add coconut milk, sugar, and salt, and continue cooking until a pudding consistency is reached.
- Sprinkle shredded coconut over top, if desired. Serve warm.
Yummy and very easy. A great way to eat the super healthy black rice! Thanks EmmyDuckie...