Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this from the HEB website and really liked them. Make a bunch and reheat later on a cookie sheet. You can serve with just plain sour cream, Ranch dressing or with the suggested flavored sour cream.
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped fine (wear gloves)
- 2 cups regular sour cream or 2 cups low-fat sour cream or 2 cups fat free sour cream
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk or 2⁄3 cup low-fat milk or 2⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 1 (6 ounce) package Mexican cornbread mix
- 1 (16 ounce) packagewhole frozen okra
- oil (for frying)
- Combine the peppers and sour cream.
- Chill till ready to use.
- In a small bowl combine beaten egg and milk and set aside.
- Place cornbread mix in a plastic or paper bag and set aside.
- Dip frozen okra, one at a time, in the egg/milk mixture and then shake to coat in the cornbread mix.
- Place coated okra on a large piece of wax paper or foil.
- Dip and coat all the okra and set aside.
- In a medium skillet heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Fry coated okras 4-6 at a time for 2 minutes.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve as an appetizer with the dipping sauce or with just plain sour cream.
Riff, this recipe is fantastic! Anyone who loves fried okra will find this one an absolute delight. I made this last night with about a pound of fresh okra pods. (courtesy of my neighbor!) Fried them in my deep fryer instead of in a skillet. They came out crispy and nicely browned with a perfect tex-mex seasoning. We did sprinkle a little salt on them after frying. The dip was great! In the words of my DH, "It just don't get any better than this."