Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
From Love at First Bite: The Complete Vampire Lover's Cookbook Special Tools: 12 Asian soup spoons, 12 toothpicks.
- 1⁄4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 2 (6 ounce) filet mignon steaks
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste, freshly cracked
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence (I added this)
- 1 small bunch chives, fresh, thinly cut in to small rounds (I added this)
- In a small bowl, mix together the horseradish and sour cream. Set aside.
- Cut each steak into 6 pieces as evenly sized as possible. Transfer to a medium-sized bowl and toss with 1 tbsp of the olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs until evenly coated.
- Heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp of oil in a nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. When very hot, but not smoking, add the beef cuts and sear on each side for about 1 minute per side for rare, about 1 1/2 minutes per side for medium.
- Transfer the meat to a plate and tent with tinfoil to keep warm. Let rest for about 7 minutes to allow the juice to reabsorb.
- To serve, arrange the spoons on a serving platter. Use a toothpick to spear a piece of meat and place it on one of the spoons; continue with the remaining pieces.
- Drizzle any remaining juice over each piece. Add a dollop of horseradish sauce just to the side of each piece of beef. Sprinkle with chives. Serve warm.