1/1 Photo of Tempeh "Chicken" Salad
Kozmic Blues's Note:
For those of you who have never tried it, tempeh is a made from fermented soybeans that have been pressed into firm cakes. It has a "nutty" and meaty texture, and, like tofu, it absorbs flavors of surrounding ingredients really well. Tempeh is a very popular "meat" alternative for vegetarian cooks. The first step in this recipe has you poach the tempeh in boiling water, which mellows out the flavor a bit, and makes it a bit more digestible. This is yet another recipe from, my favorite: The Vegetarian Meat and Potatoes Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 ounces tempeh, cubed
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 2 tablespoons red bell peppers, minced
- 1 large dill pickle, minced
- 2 -3 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup soy mayonnaise or 1/2 cup regular mayonnaise (more or less to taste)
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (spicy golden brown is nice too)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1Place the cubed tempeh in a saucepan of boiling, salted water.
- 2Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 12 minutes, drain and set aside to cool.
- 3I usually toss it in the fridge.
- 4In a large bowl, combine the celery, pepper, pickle, scallion and parsley.
- 5Run a knife through the cubed tempeh, just to give it a rough chop (optional, the cubes work fine too) Add chopped tempeh to the bowl, along with the mayonnaise, mustard, lemon, salt and pepper.
- 6Fold everything together, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to let the flavors combine.
- 7This will keep covered in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- 8This salad goes great on wheat toast, in a pita pocket, or in a lavash wrap.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Tempeh "Chicken" Salad
Serving Size: 1 (698 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 374.2
- Calories from Fat 281
- Total Fat 31.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 10.4 mg
- Sodium 511.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 16.6 g