Recipe by ComoxFoodie
I made these waffles by adaptation - I am always trying to adapt my favourite old school recipes into healthier versions without losing the taste. I think I did it with this recipe everyone ate them right up! I am from Canada and used Robin Hood Multigrain flour which contains a variety of grains including flax and millet but still retains a lightness that is nice. This is also really yummy with a dollop of yogurt on top of the fruit!
- 1 lb strawberry, washed, hulled and sliced
- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fat free egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 1 3⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups multi-grain flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- Slice your strawberries into a bowl, add vanilla sugar and juice of the orange, stir gently to combine and set aside. (Can be done way ahead of time).
- Pour 'eggs' into a bowl with milk, yogurt, vanilla and stir to mix completely.
- In a separate, large bowl combine sugar, baking powder, salt and flour.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry, stir to completely combine.
- Use cooking spray on your waffle maker, follow your maker's directions to produce tasty waffles.
- While still hot, spoon strawberries on top and slice a half a banana over the berries.