Recipe by jl_browning
A tasty veggie burger with a southwest flair. Can sub black beans for the pinto and use just about any nut in place of the walnuts. From Gourmet
Top Review by Mindelicious
These were really easy to make and they cooked up very nicely. DH thought they were good but the patties themselves could have used more flavor. He thought the lime mayo was a nice twist (I used vegan mayo instead of regular). I will probably use this as a base in the future because they definitely filled his tummy up! I had 6 leftover (recipe made 8 for me) and I froze them so I will probably dethaw and add in some goodies....maybe adding BBQ or more seasoning straight to the pattie will enhance what we already have going here. I served them topped with the lime mayo (of course), BBQ sauce, and onions. Thanks!!!
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup Bulgar wheat
- 1 cup water
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon dried chipotle powder or 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in olive oil until the onions are nice and carmel in color.
- In a separate saucepan cook bulgar in the water until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Then combine all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. You may want to pulse walnuts on their own first then add remaining ingredients to get a smoother texture.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and brush with olive oil. Using wet hands, form patties and place on wax paper Brush tops of patties with a little oil.
- Chill in refrigerator a few hours until good and cold, about 3 - 4 hours.
- In a separate bowl combine all of the dressing ingredients and chill until ready to use.
- Grill or pan fry until heated through, flipping once. They can be crumbly so flipping often will cause them to fall apart.
- Serve on whole wheat buns with lime mayo and your favorite burger toppings.