Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
An easy, yet elegant dessert that is not only yummy but impressive to your family or guests. Chill time is not included in the prep time.
- 1 1⁄2 pints rich chocolate-chocolate chip ice cream, slightly softened (to use 2 1/2 cups)
- 6 dark chocolate-covered cherries
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Scoop ice cream into 6 balls, using 1/2 cup ice cream for each.
- While ice cream is still in scoop, push a chocolate-covered cherry into the center of each.
- Place in a baking pan lined with plastic wrap and freeze at least 2 hours, until firm.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate in top of double boiler over barely simmering water.
- Lay a long sheet of wax paper on an overturned jelly roll pan.
- Pour chocolate on the paper and spread it to cover the length and width of the paper using a thin metal spatula.
- Freeze until just before serving time.
- (Chocolate will get crackly hard).
- To serve: Break up chocolate into jagged pieces.
- Place a few pieces in bottoms of 6 dessert dishes.
- Top with ice cream balls and sprinkle each with the remaining chocolate pieces.
- (Desserts may be frozen at this time).