Recipe by threeovens
Fragrant and aromatic grilled mushrooms. These can be made in a tandoor (Indian oven) or under the broiler or on the grill. The mushrooms are marinated, then threaded onto skewers for grilling or broiling. If using bamboo skewers be sure to soak them in water while the mushrooms are marinating. Adapted from Bukhara Grill, Manhattan.
Top Review by Outta Here
Excellent! I grilled them. I had a problem with them splitting on the skewers, so next time I will use smaller skewers or just put them in my grill "wok" and cook them that way. I used all yogurt instead of sour cream (forgot to get it), and it worked fine. Great flavors in this!
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot, peeled and roughly chopped (about 2 inch piece)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder or 1 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt, plain
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and wiped clean
Directions See How It's Made
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine ginger, garlic, salt, cumin, chili powder, turmeric and white pepper; pulse, scraping down the sides occasionally, until everything is finely choppd.
- Add in the lemon juice, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, and puree; add the sour cream and yogurt and pulse just to combine.
- Transfer the marinade to a non-reactive bowl (or resealable plastic baggie) and add the mushrooms; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- If using a tandoor, heat to 500 degees F (if using a grill or the broiler, heat to high heat).
- Thread mushrooms onto skewers and cook in the tandoor until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes, baste with 1 tablespoon oil and continue cooking until browned and tender, about 1 to 2 minutes (3 to 4 per side on the grill or broiler, basting with the oil).