Prep 5 mins
Cook 9 mins
Baby potatoes tossed with a spicy mixture to make a great cocktail snack. I got this one from one of my old cookbooks and made this to celebrate the end of my board exams.Trust me.....it was worth the celebration.
- 1 cup baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves (kasuri methi)
- 1 tablespoon oil
To be ground into a paste
- 4 kashmiri chilies
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 inch ginger
- 2 teaspoons coriander-cumin powder (dhania-jeera)
- Wash the potatoes thoroughly,pierce them with a fork and place them all around the microwave turntable.
- Place a glass of water in the centre to prevent the potatoes from getting wrinkled.
- Microwave on HIGH for 5 to 6 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Heat oil in a glass bowl for about 1 minute,add the prepared paste and salt and mix well.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, cream, kasuri methi and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.
This is a very unique and nice potato side dish. We all enjoyed it immensely. I did make a few changes though. I used 1 tbsp. of low-fat yogurt as a substitute for cream. Also, I toned down the spiciness by using just 2 red chillies instead of 4. I used about 1 1/2 tsps. of salt. I love dried kasoori methi and I used 2 tsps. of the same(crumbled it between my palms before adding it to bring out its full flavour). Also, I think that when we add freshly powdered spices(masalas), the dish at the end tastes much better. Keeping that in mind, I used freshly powdered cumin and corriander seeds. I did add 1/4 cup water as well in step 6. Also, in step 6, I microwaved on HIGH for 6 minutes. I served these hot with rotis and yogurt, and oh, how they ate! This will also make a good filling for dosa. Just make it as above and incorporating the changes I made and then mash the mixture and stuff inside a dosa(crepe).( This will make a unique and tasty masala dosa!). Thanks a tonne for posting!