Recipe by Andtototoo!
This recipe is slightlly adapted from the cookbook Cooking at Home with Pedatha. This is a very good south Indian recipe.
Top Review by Elmotoo
This is good. Nobody was bowled over. Turns out dh doesn't like fenugreek. Was I supposed to use 2 cups cooked rice or cook 2 cups of rice? I used 2c cooked. I wonder if it wouldn't be so strongly flavored if I had used more? Aside from gathering ingredients, it's a very easy dish that comes together quickly. I used ground fenugreek & ground the sesame seeds in my spice grinder. I didn't notice their flavor in the finished dish. I also used jalapenos since serranos weren't available. I thought it was tasty & liked having something different! thank you! made for My 3 chefs 11/09.
- 2 cups uncooked rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon Urad Dal (split white)
- 1 tablespoon channa dal
- 1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 4 dried red chilies, halved
- 3 green serrano chilies
- 12 curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hing
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon split white Urad Dal
- 1 teaspoon channa dal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 6 curry leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the 2 cups rice with water and the 1/2 teaspoons turmeric until tender. Set aside to cool.
- Dry fry the 1/2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds and powder them. Set aside.
- Dry fry the sesame seeds and powder them. Set aside.
- In a dutch oven or other large cooking vessel put the 3 Table. oil, 1 Table. urad dal, 1 Table. chana dal, 1 Table. mustard seeds, and the dried red chilies.
- Split the serrano chilies part way up and add them to the spices. Heat over high heat until the mustard seeds are popping AND the dals are light brown.
- Reduce heat to medium and stir in the 12 curry leaves.
- Add the tamarind concentrate and 1/2 cup water. Stir-fry for 3 minutes, adding a little more water if needed. The tamarind concentrate needs to cook a bit to loose its raw taste.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoons hing, the powdered fenugreek seeds and the powdered sesame seeds. Cook for 2 more minutes. The water should have evaporated by this time.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in 2 teaspoons salt.
- Slowly add the cooked rice and stir until it is well mixed. Remove from heat.
- In a small frying pan put the remaining oil, urad dal, chana dal and mustard seeds. Heat over high heat until the dals are light brown. Quickly stir in the 6 curry leaves and then pour the spices over the top of the rice for a crunchy topping.
- 1 teaspoons of curry powder can be added when you add the powdered sesame seeds, if desired.