Blue Peacock's Note:
I found this in the Atlanta Journal Constitution several years ago. It is an interesting kind of 'pesto' due to the fact that it does not contain nuts, but does have chile peppers.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 bunches cilantro
- 1 bunch parsley (preferably Italian)
- 4 -5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 serrano peppers or 4 Thai red chili peppers, stemmed
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus extra if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1Cut and discard the visible, leafless stems from the cilantro and parsley.
- 2Wash and pat dry.
- 3Place the cilantro and parsley in a blender with the remaining ingredients.
- 4Blend at low speed, stoppng often to smash down the ingredients as they combine.
- 5Turn up speed and blend thoroughly.
- 6Place in a storage container, taste and adjust salt, and top with a little oil as you would pesto.
- 7This lasts for a month if stored in an airtight container.
Browse Our Top Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Szug ('pesto' from Yemen)
Serving Size: 1 (7 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 32
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 31.4
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 110.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 0.0 g