1 hr 39 mins
1 hr 19 mins
From Rachael Ray's Week in a Day on Foodnetwork, this uses Roasted Garlic Paste with Honey and is so good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- kosher salt
- 2 1/4-2 1/2 lbs swiss chard (or rainbow chard-3 or 4 large bunches)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk (I use soy milk)
- fresh ground pepper
- freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 recipe roasted garlic paste, recipe follows (or 2 heads roasted garlic)
- 2 cups shredded parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1 loaf French bread (24-inch) or 2 smaller loaves French bread, 3 inches wide
- 1Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Remove the stems from the chard but keep the leaves whole. Add the chard to the boiling water (the pot will be packed at first) and cook for 10 minutes. Drain in a colander and run under cool water. Drain again, then wrap the chard in a kitchen towel and squeeze to remove the excess water. Chop the chard.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, whisking, for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and season with salt, pepper and a little nutmeg. Simmer until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Adjust the seasonings to taste. Stir in 1/3 cup Roasted Garlic Paste.
- 4Spread half the chard in the bottom of a medium casserole dish. Top with half the garlic sauce and half the cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the cheese. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven and turn on the broiler.
- 5Halve the bread lengthwise, then cut in half crosswise to make four 12-inch-long pieces. Broil the bread, cut-side up, until charred, about 1 minute. Slather with the remaining Roasted Garlic Paste and top each piece with one-quarter of the chard au gratin. Cut each pizza in half and serve.
- 6The unbaked chard au gratin can covered be and refrigerated for a make-ahead meal. Bring to room temperature, then bake as directed.
- 7Roasted Garlic Paste:
- 86 heads garlic, tops trimmed off to expose all of the cloves
- 91 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 103 tablespoons honey
- 11Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- 12Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Arrange the garlic in a cluster on a large piece of foil and drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil. Wrap up the garlic in the foil to make a tightly sealed pouch. Roast until very tender, about 45 minutes. Let cool, then squeeze the garlic from the skins into a food processor. Add the remaining 3/4 cup olive oil and the honey and season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth, then transfer to a small container. (Alternatively, you can mash the garlic paste with a fork instead of using a food processor.).
Browse Our Top Greens Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Swiss Chard Au Gratin French Bread Pizzas
Serving Size: 1 (725 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1177.6
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 18.4 g
- Cholesterol 74.5 mg
- Sodium 2702.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 168.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 17.4 g
- Protein 55.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: