Prep 20 mins
Cook 18 mins
A yummy, gooey, sweet, and nutty bar from my brother's fiancee.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar or 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup chopped nuts (any kind(Beth made these with macadamia nuts)
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup milk chocolate chips or 1⁄2 cup white chocolate chips
- CRUST: Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Combine the flour, brown sugar, and butter in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on medium speed, scraping bowl often, until the mixture is crumbly (2-3 minutes).
- Firmly press into the bottom of an ungreased 13x9" baking pan; sprinkle the nuts evenly over the top.
- FILLING: Combine the butter and brown sugar in a 1-quart saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a full boil (about 4-5 minutes).
- Boil, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer registers 242*F (or until a small amount dropped into ice water forms a firm ball), about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour the mixture over the nuts and crust; bake for 18-20 minutes, or until caramel is bubbly.
- Immediately sprinkle with butterscotch and chocolate chips; let stand 5 minutes.
- Swirl the chips as they melt, leaving some whole for a marbled effect.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.