Recipe by Leopard Apron
Another variation of the always popular broccoli salad - I like the tanginess and texture of the dried cranberries! This salad is good anytime of the year - the favors really come together the next day (if you have any left....)
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for Spring PAC 2014 and this was a tasty salad. I did cut the recipe down for DH and I and just used red onions and left out the grapes (didn't have any). I love the hot sauce added to the salad for a little kick. We licked the bowl clean. Thank you for posting.
- 1 bunch broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1⁄2 medium yellow sweet onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup red seedless grapes, sliced in half, lengthwise
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds
- 6 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, finely grated
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 drops hot sauce (Louisiana brand)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon, drain and crumble, then set aside.
- Rinse and drain broccoli. Remove the tough bottoms of the stalks, slice stems and flowerets, then coarsely chop all parts and place in large mixing bowl. Quarter onion slices and add to broccoli along with grapes, cranberries, sunflower kernels,bacon and cheese. Toss well to combine.
- For dresssing, combine remaining ingredients and mix well until sugar is dissolved and mixture is smooth.
- Refrigerate all, toss broccoli with dressing just before serving.