Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a compilation of a couple of different recipes I found on the web. My husband loves sweet potatoes with LOTS of marshmallows and wanted a casserole like one of his aunts used to make. After a few trials, this was the final incarnation. It is now a Thanksgiving staple for both his and my family's dinners.
- 1 (40 ounce) canbruce cut yams, drained
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (16 ounce) bag miniature marshmallows
- Butter 1 quart baking dish.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash yams in a large bowl and add brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, egg, and melted butter.
- Mix well.
- Place 1/2 mixture in baking dish.
- Top with a layer of marshmallows, then add remaining mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with remaining marshmallows.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until marshmallows are lightly browned.
This was great! I made this for Thanksgiving. I used fresh sweet potatoes and quadrupled the recipe and it was a hit. I did add in some vanilla extract as well and a pinch of nutmeg. This was easy and a success for my first hosted Thanksgiving dinner!
My daughter made this for Thanksgiving, and we loved it! She baked 2.5 lbs. sweet potatoes, and only used marshmallows on top. Thanks for such an easy and good recipe.
I gave this recipe 5 stars! This recipe was so easy and tasted just good as using fresh cooked sweet potatoes. When I made this recipe I only had one each 15oz and 12oz cans. So I cut down on the other ingredients a bit. Also I used Splenda brown sugar. I didn't use near as many marshmallows as directed. Overall this was so good and I will make this recipe again for sure! Thanks for posting! Christine (internetnut)