Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is better than the original.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed cooked sweet potatoes (I used drained canned)
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup flaked cereal (I used a combination of Smart Start and Honey Bunches of Oats)
- 2 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease either 6 large or 12 small muffin cups.
- Place the brown sugar, flour and the cinnamon in a small bowl, cut in until it resembles coarse cruumbs and set aside.
- Place sweet potato, applesauce, oil and cereal in a large bowl; set aside for 10 minutes or more.
- Add the water and apple juice concentrate.
- Sift the flours, sugar, baking powder and soda, salt and cinnamon into the sweet potato mixture.
- Stir until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
- Divide topping evenly among the muffins.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on cooling rack 5 minutes.
- Remove very carefully and cool completely on rack.
- Place in a Tupperware lined container, wrap in plastic and freeze after 1-2 days.